West Sunwen Road Historical and Cultural District is located in the western part of the historical city proper. Centering on Qilou Street along the West Sunwen Road, the district covers a protection area of 7.1 hectares. West Sunwen Road was initially named Ying¡¯en Street. Through years of extension since Sui and Tang Dynasties to 1925, West Sunwen Road has gradually taken into the present shape. As the modern business street typical in the Pearl River Delta, West Sunwen Road is famous for its traditional architecture that is mainly based on the styles of the early Republic of China. The extant oldest architecture is No. 121~127 arcade-type retail shop, the so-called ¡°HSBC General Merchandise¡± established in 1907; the next is Sihao Hotel established in 1924, the present municipal cultural protection unit. There are also Fushou Hall, Yong¡¯an Overseas Chinese Remittance Bureau and other historical architectures. The architectural spatial framework adopts arcade style popular in the South of the Five Ridges. Blending European colonial architecture in the early 20th century and Lingnan arcade architecture, the architectural style is called ¡°Southeast China architecture¡±, an important representation of ¡°south China culture¡±.
Xishan Temple Historical and Cultural District is located in the central part of the historical city proper. Centering around Xi Mountain, it has a protection area of 3.2 hectares. The district is the only historical district that takes temple as the main body and integrates historical and cultural value, leisure value and dwelling value. Since the establishment in Jiajing Period of Ming Dynasty, Xishan Temple has become a landmark of the historical city proper. The civilian residence in the district is built along the mountains, featuring antique blue brick, simple and secluded lanes, and regular courtyard. Inside the district there is one provincial cultural relic protection unit¡ªZhongshan County Martyrs¡¯ Monument, 2 municipal cultural relic protection units¡ªXishan Temple and Zhongshan Monument Library, and 2 historical architecture¡ªLaiqing Pavilion and Workers¡¯ Cultural Palace.
Congshan Hall Historical and Cultural District is located in the south of the historical city proper. Covering a protection area of 1.6 hectares, the city proper has 4 historic architectures. Formed in the late Qing Dynasty and early Republic of China, the district mainly consists of Guojia Lane, Guanyin Lane, Congshan Hall, Gonghe Lane, which are reasonably distributed. The district wholly reserves the architectural complex which integrates the styles of the east and the west, the street framework in the early Republic of China, and the harmonious living atmosphere, fully embodying the overseas Chinese culture and the living styles of the traditional dwellers.
Shachong Historical and Cultural District is located in the Southern District, covering a protection area of 15.97 hectares. Inside the district there is one provincial cultural protection unit¡ªMagong Memorial Hall, and other 10 historical buildings. Mainly formed in the late Qing Dynasty and early Republic of China, the district adopts the ¡°fishbone type¡± layout. Mostly built by overseas Chinese, the historical architectures which are in relatively sound preservation mainly adopt the architectural style of ¡°combing the east and the west¡± and ¡°exotic in exterior and native in interior¡±, representing the features and styles of the overseas Chinese hometown. This is rarely seen in China and reflects the building methods of combining the traditional and western styles as well as the exquisite building technique.Go Back